Sunday, July 29, 2012

The great zucchini debacle

Zucchini, Oh Zucchini,
Wherefore art thou zucchini.

First year we had a real garden we were gung-ho about everything and knew nothing.
No fence (another story for another day)
When buying our plants (pre-greenhouse era!) we had a little conversation, it went something like this:

Hubby: "I want some zucchini"
Me: "Okay, I like zucchini a bit....."
Hubby: "Well, let's make sure we get enough plants"
Me: Okay, 9 plants should be enough, don't ya think?"
Hubby: "Uh-huh"


If you've ever grown zucchini, you know what happened next. The plants got hugh, we were pleased. Then they started spitting out zucchini by the truckload. We picked and picked and I swear they just grew more overnight. We were giving them away to everyone we knew, cooking and eating as fast as we could, even went as far as to put boxes on the side of the road with a “FREE” sign. We brought them to church, hubby took them the work, we fed them to our chickens. We composted them.
We learned a lesson.

This year we planted 2 zucchini plants. We KNEW that was sufficient. We didn’t know there would be heat with no rain, NO rain. And pests, never had these pests but they destroyed one of the plants. We now have one plant left.

Next year we will go back to 9 plants. I want my zucchini and we have the land so we shall plant in excess. If there are too many, we will simply donate them to the food bank in town!

7 comments:

Ahl Cooped Up said...

We didn't plant a garden this year.
In previous years, I would always have too much zucchini. I would get sick to death of it.
Well, this year I seem to be buying it like crazy, and wish I had planted it. It seems weird buying something like that when I would normally be up to my ears in it, and not able to give it away.
It's getting planted next year.

WoolenSails said...

Isn't that, always the way. Either too much or too little, lol. I always give away the excess and the food pantry is a wonderful idea. It doesn't cost any more to grow extra and a great way to help others.

Debbie

Kays Kids said...

Zucchini's are very prolific usually. 9 Plant I think could feed a whole city. I do feel for you with the drought.
Hugs

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Isn't that just the way it goes! We're learning as we go here, but I would think planning for a little more and then being able to give is a good thing!

Blessings,
Tammy

Wendy @ Ravenwood Whimzies said...

Hi Maureen - I was looking for your "A Few Good Men" pattern...can I purchase it through your blog, or should I search your Ebay or Etsy sites.
Thanks

Mary Ann Tate said...

That happened to me one year and I think I made every zucchini recipe I could find...relish, pickles, bread etc:)

Nanna said...

love that's the way our blue berries did one year to the point I threatened not to water them lol! my sister makes a zucchini cake & it taste just like carrot cake!
Helen